RHEL redistribution..

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:29:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:19 +0000, WipeOut
<wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I have a question that may or may not have come up before... Not wanting
> to start a flame war but its something that I was asked and didn't have
> an answer to..
>
> Is RHEL allowed to be freely distributed and installed on as many PC's
> as you like as is the case with other GPL distro's??

the code is licensed under various open source license.  so yes the
code is freely redistributable. redhat has trademark restrictions so
anyone redistributing it will have to strip off redhat names and
trademarks from the end product which is basically what rebuild clones
like centos(.org) does.

the trademark restrictions are necessary for two things

* prevent confusion
* to protect the trademark from being diluated and lost

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram