newbie in trouble - recovering fstab

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:11:58 UTC 2005

> You appear to indeed be out of space.
> Find something that should not be there and delete it to clear out space
> so the system can write the needed temporary files.
I've emptied /tmp and /var/log and been through my old /home dir. "df"
still reports disk 100% full! Does mv and rm actually free up space?
I've done that one several MB of stuff, but it hasn't changed the
result of df...

> /var/log and /tmp are 2 very dynamic areas that often can fill up extra
> space. But in your case, it is likely the data that was copied over when
> trying to move stuff to another partition.
>
> Use df to see what space is available, then du to see what parts of the
> directory tree are overloaded.  It should not take a lot of space to
> allow rebooting but probably a lot of careful pruning of the junk to
> clean up.

I just had another look at df and thought I'd show you the odd result:

                  1k Blocks     Used         Available    Use      Mounted on
/dev/hda8    7439683        7196888    0               100%     /

Odd - right? There should be nearly 300MB free! (if I've read it right)

Ideas?   - Duncan