Moving contacts between versions of evolution

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Feb 16 19:07:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 13:52 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> I want to move the contact list from the FC2 box over to the FC3
> system.  Is this as simple as copying the evolution/local/Contacts
> directory over to the new system?  Or should I just copy the
> addressbook.db and addressbook.db.summary over?

That won't work -- the db format has changed between 1.x and 2.x.

> Hoping that someone else has done this and can confirm that this will
> work.  I don't see an export feature in evolution although there is an
> import feature.  But that appears to be geared towards pulling in stuff
> from Outlook and Netscape.

In evolution 1.4, go to contacts, Edit -> Select all (ctrl+a), and then
File -> Save as vCard or right-click any of the selected contacts and
select save as vCard. (I've only got evolution 2 now, so some of those
commands might be a little off but I know that you can do something like
what I described in evolution 1.) You can then import that vCard file
containing all of your contacts into evolution 2.

Best, Darren