equivalent of IP config

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 19:23:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 14:14, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Hello again folks -- I seem to be the fountain of unending questions
> today -- Sorry about that :)
>
> I am working on several different Fedora boxes today, and I am looking
> for the equivalent command to the windows IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG/ALL
> command.  I basically need to be able to check the network settings that
> either DHCP assigned or statically assigned.  I think I'm having trouble
> with my DNS server and I want to try to nail the stupid thing down

You want /sbin/ifconfig -a

and /bin/netstat -rn

run the following to learn more about each of them:

man ifconfig
man netstat

You will also want to look at /etc/resolv.conf.  That file lists the
nameservers that your machine points to for DNS services.

BTW: as a side note, please don't top post.  And it appears that you may
have hijacked another thread.  Hijacking threads is when you reply to
another message and change the subject line.  This messes up threaded
email readers.  So create a new message from scratch next time and
remember to trim your replies as well.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Machines certainly can solve problems, store information, correlate,
and play games -- but not with pleasure.
		-- Leo Rosten