Hardware compatibility issues with Shuttle XPC...

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 16 20:36:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:45:07 -0800
Noah Patton <fedora at universalmac.com> wrote:

> Although the install completes fine, when the system first boots and
> should bring up the first-boot setup assistant, after the startup
> screen goes away I just get a blank screen with a cursor.

I had similar troubles on my laptop.  Things you might try:

* Disable rhgb  (on the grub screen, hit "a" and remove "rhgb" from the
kernel options).  If this works, edit /etc/grub.conf when your system
boots up to permanently disable rhgb.

* Boot into single-user mode and bypass "firstboot" entirely  (on the
grub screen, hit "a" and add "single" to the kernel options).  If that
sonves your problem, you could just remove firstboot (rpm -e firstboot)
and use system-config-display and system-config-soundcard to set up video
and sound.  Then, use useradd to add a user account for you to work with
on a daily basis.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!