FC3 on a Compaq notebook: X trouble

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Wed Feb 16 22:26:00 UTC 2005

(Oops, yep, I did mean runlevel 3.)  That's what I've been doing for the
past hour.  Good thing they pay me the big bucks, I'd hate for this to
be easy.  ;-)

Upshot is this: Fedora probes my (on-board) video card and identifies it
as an "S3 ProSavage KN133."  It is actually an "S3-VIA Twister K"
according to s3graphics.com.  I've been running system-config-display
trying various settings.  The only successful combination I've found so
far is "generic 800x600" w/ "generic VGA display" and 256 colors.
Still pretty much unusable :-]

Googling around for this box, I see I'm in plenty of company in not
being able to get X going on this laptop.  The funny thing is, I had it
working with RH9.  Unfortunately I didn't save off the old conf file.

:-(

I wonder if RH9 had a driver for the S3 Twister that has since been
dropped.

--
Douglas Frank    HP Co.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,