Please help with mplayer problem

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:16:21 UTC 2005

I have done some searching via google on the issue, however most of the
results aren't in english, strangely. Anyways. I'd setup FC3 for a
friend of mine. And I had connected to the machine via ssh (from my
home). Well I was having a little fun. I was playing a few songs on the
remote machine using mplayer. Suddenly mplayer gave the following message:

[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
resource busy

It's given the message ever since and does not play files remotely (not
sure about locally) with mplayer at least. What can I do to troubleshoot
this? Any ideas.  My friend has also reported that songs take forver (a
long wait) to play music now. She uses KPlayer, which uses mplayer.

Any ideas?
Thank you.