Linux and Spywares - lack of reading

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Thu Feb 17 00:50:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:22:51 -0500
"Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 22:41, jdow wrote:
> > From: "jdow" <jdow at earthlink.net>
> > > From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10 at charter.net>

> > > aren't
> > Linux?

> > > or

> > They had another reference today - it was a spyware application. If
> > a spyware can be tossed onto the machine then a rootkit can, also.
> >
> > http://news.com.com/Spyware+takes+aim+at+Mozilla+browsers/2100-7349_3-5569635.html
> >
> > {^_^}
>
> The recent exploit I read about was used more in phishing scams.  They
> used the internationalization features to display certificates and
> prompts that looked like they came from legit sources so the users
> would click on them.
>
> The article above did not go into much detail but sounds like it is a
> combination of the exploit which gets the users to click on accepting
> a download of a program.

No, not really the downloading of a program. Rather, to get you to click
to go to a web site that will look just like Citibank or Amex so that
you enter confidential info that will then be recorded.

>From what I understand, Mozilla will now ship with the
internationalization features turned off by default. The article you
were referring to (worth reading!) was publicised on Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/15/1922215&tid=154&tid=1

cheers,
Robert