Fedora Core 3 Motherboard Recommendations

Alexander Spanke aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Thu Feb 17 12:47:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

try the Asus K8N, it has good performance values, an onboard SATA
controller and 1 onboard ethernet (100MBit) for around 70-80 €.
FYI, It's a Sockel 754

Cheers
 Alex

Btw, in which contry you can still pay with 'mark' ?

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 08:40 -0400, Rick Meyer wrote:
> I am looking for some recommendations for a stable and reliable
> motherboard for building five Fedora Core 3 systems.  My top concerns
> are:
>

> Motherboard:
>
> o     Reliability of the main motherboard.
>
> o     Chipset Support (i.e Easy Installation) from the kernel.
>
> o     Price is some what important but not the deciding factor (no
> more than $140.00)
>
> o     Nice to have features would be dual-lan on board.
>
> o     I have no CPU preference, so it could be AMD or Intel solution.
> (CPU Speed is not important)
>
> o     Chipset/Performance vs Price.  (I would prefer a newer chipset
> if it doesn’t break the $140.00 mark)
>

> Network Cards:
>
> o     If the motherboard doesn’t have on-board Lan (I need two
> Ethernet connections in each system) Then what is a good and stable
> NIC card?
>

> A typical system once built will contain:
>
> o     200GB Hard Drive
>
> o     DVD R/W
>
> o     512 Megs of RAM
>
> o     2 Ethernet Connections (Giga-Lan Optional)
>
> o     ATX Case (Mini or Mid Tower)
>
> o     Good Power Supply (Probably an Enermax..)
>

> Of course I have searched the NET for MFTB numbers from Manufactures,
> but haven’t really come up with anything solid yet. Some of the
> Manufacturers I have looked at include ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and DFI.
> I’m open to others as well.
>

> Thanks
>
> Rick Meyer
>

> --
Alexander Spanke                         System Analyst
      NEC High Performance Computing Europe GmbH
Prinzenallee 11            D-40549 Duesseldorf, Germany
Tel:    +49 211 5369 146           aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Fax:    +49 211 5369 199        http://www.hpce.nec.com