ACPI suspend et al

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:19:22 UTC 2005

Michael Scottaline wrote:
> Actually, it's working flawlessly for me on a Chembook derivative.  but
> here's the catch.  It's quite old and doesn't pass the BIOS test for
> acpi (older than 2001).  So apm handles power management.

FWIW: ACPI is turned off for pre-2001 BIOSes because too many of them
are too buggy. That doesn't mean a pre-2001 BIOS *will* be buggy [1]:
you can turn it back on using the acpi=force option if you want to
experiment.

I used to do that to get my SMP box to auto-power off (APM doesn't work
in SMP mode).

[1] Except inasmuch as every program is buggy...
--
James Wilkinson       | "What kind of music do you get here, ma'am?"
Exeter    Devon    UK | "Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and