TurboTax - Linux?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 14:41:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 06:53, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:37, Mark Weaver wrote:
> >

> >>why in the world would the TurboTax app be making any sort of writes,
> >>let along changes of any kind to the disk's MBR?
> >

> > Because they apparently have a short sighted view that by trying to
> > implement onerous copy protection schemes they can improve their bottom
> > line.  When in reality they have alienated a growing portion of their
> > potential user base by doing that and by making their web based service
> > MS centric (they block the use of other browsers such as Mozilla).
> >
> > Pointy haired boss decisions that are bad for their company and
> > consumers alike.
> >

> I thought all that had been re-thought though and done away with with
> last years release?

I think they have re-thought the copy protection they tried last year.
However the browser issue came up this year.  There was an earlier
thread end of last month or first week of this month discussing the
browser problem.  Personally I don't like the browser tax option much
and would not use it even if it did work with firefox.

These kinds of decisions have alienated a number of people.  Last year
many moved to taxcut software and probably won't be back.  Bad customer
feelings last much longer than the reverse.  Once lost it is extremely
hard to regain customers over something this silly.

Look at this thread.  Based on several users experience many many people
reading this will most likely choose NOT to use turbotax and will seek
out alternatives.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Given sufficient time, what you put off doing today will get done by itself.