Totally Peeved-Fedora3 Upfrade Errors

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 16:19:12 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
Sent: Feb 17, 2005 9:13 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Totally Peeved-Fedora3 Upfrade Errors

>It turns off DMA access for the CD drives. It'll be slower but it
>*might* alleviate the problem you're having.

Some CD devices do not implement DMA support 'correctly'.  Using this parameter forces all CD like devices (CD, CD-writers and DVD drives) to use Polled I/O mode, which is definately 'slower' for most DASD (Hard drives), but may not appear slower for CD drives.  If you use the ide=nodma parameter, you can see the effect of placing the entire IDE interface in PIO mode (it is much slower than DMA mode.)

--
James McKenzie
Running Fedora Core 3 on a Thinkpad A22p with Software Suspend 2 and