Viewer - Solid Edge

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 17 18:34:24 UTC 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:52:50 -0700, Robin Laing
> <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>In the past week I have received two different files that are Solid
>>Edge files.  I have done a search but I cannot find a Linux version yet.
>>
>>I have gone to the manufactures site and looked at their viewer.
>>
>>http://www.solidedge.com/
>>
>>I sent them a message asking for a Linux version of their software.
>>
>>Anyone know of a package that may be able to view the files?  In all
>>cases the files came from a second source and they don't have any
>>control of the file format.
>>
>>BTW - Wine is not an option.
>

> I don't know if any of these will help you, but I have some
> suggestions in case you haven't thought of them.
>
> 1) AutoDesk makes AutoCAD viewer programs that are good at reading a
> few different CAD formats. Try
>
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=4355269&siteID=123112
>
> I can't tell if you can get them for Linux, but AutoCAD is available
> for Unix (I think), so maybe.
>
> 2) Many CAD programs have PDF export capability. But you lose the
> layers, rotation, etc. Still, maybe that's enough.
>
> 3) If the AutoDesk viewer programs can't read Solid Edge files
> directly, maybe Solid Edge can save to DXF (I think that's what it's
> called--Data Exchange Format, sort of like an RTF for CAD). The
> AutoDesk viewer programs can read DXF, as can, probably, any
> Linux-based CAD software.
>
> We use DXF here for going between our architecture dept. (AutoCAD on
> Windows) and our Design dept. (VectorWorks on OS X).
>
> Good luck,
> Matt

Solid edge is selling their product to others as a way to allow
transmission of files.

I have DXF and DWG viewers but the issue is I receive the Solid Edge
file from a sales person or someone outside my control and the files
comes from someone else beyond their control thus the Solid Edge files
is the only option.  One case was the plans for a vehicle and the
other was for a highspeed digital camera.

I understand the need for a viewer to view drafting files but it just
creates more headaches for those that don't/cannot use Windows.

I may have to find a version of vmware.

--
Robin Laing