Troubles setting up basic internet access

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 22:01:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 16:54 -0500, Marc Auger wrote:
> Hello.  I am a new Fedora user, with very little knowledge of details.
> I have tried to set up internet access, (DSL) and not been able to get
> through.  Mozilla will connect to the IP of my modem, bringing up the
> connection page, but cannot get through to the internet.  How would I go
> about setting this up properly?
>
> P.S.
> While I'm on the subject of basic idiot configuration, does anyone know
> how to configure a wireless PC card?

DSL should already have been configured for you when you installed FC3.
It's possible you might have selected a wrong setting when you installed
FC3 (during the page where it asks you about setting up a network
connection.

You need to set up a network connection to use DSL within FC3.  Most of
the time it'll recognize your connection automatically and configure it
for you without assistance, but sometimes you'll need to do this
automatically.

Head into the Network Configuration area (Apps --> System Settings -->
Network) and make sure the ethernet device you use to connect is enabled
- if it's not, do that by selecting the device in particular and hitting
the big green round button :)

Once that happens, the network should recognize your connection and
automatically assign you an IP address.

Let me know if this doesn't work.  (I'm not a networking expert, but
this should work).

Jared