How do I add a hard drive

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 05:02:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 23:20, Ankush Grover wrote:
> hey,
>
> See that is not possbile as  /usr is already mounted.
>
> You need to create another mount partition like
>
> /share

Actually you can create a mount point as a sub directory on an existing
file system.  You don't have to have a mount point at the root level.

Very common (and used to be the standard) to create mount points under
the /mnt directory, /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/floppy etc.  I believe the new
standard is to use /media for this kind of stuff.

It does not have to go any particular location though.  But you do have
to be careful not to mount a drive over a directory that is being used
like /etc or /usr or /var  (assuming the last two are not separate file
systems to begin with)

This is also a common way to lose may gigabytes of disk space.  Have
seen entire directory trees appear empty because a file system was
mounted over a full directory.  And you can't figure out why that drive
is so full.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"When people are least sure, they are often most dogmatic."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith