ethernet failure after update to kernel-2.6.10-1.766

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Fri Feb 18 11:35:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 07:56:33PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >This afternoon I updated to kernel-2.6.10-1.766 on an AMD64 machine.
> >MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo using the Realtek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> >adapter.
> >On rebooting networking did not come up and I got the kernel message
> >kernel: r8169: eth1: PHY reset until linkup

> I'm surprised you have this problem.

I am even more surprised than you are :)

> You must have made changes to your networking configuration -- even
> a seemingly tiny change can have big effects.

Nope. The only thing I did was update the kernel to 766 and then reboot!
(Googling shows this "PHY reset" thingy to have been a pest on 2.6.9
 kernels with Gigabit Ethernet, it presumably was 'patched away').

> When Fedora Core 3 first came out, I had no success getting the
> forcedeth driver to actually work on eth0 -- I simply gave up on it,
> which was easy since eth1 (the RTL8169) works just fine. I have not
> tried to get eth0 to work in recent times. Maybe the kernel has a
> revision to the forcedeth driver that gets it to work?

I have never even tried using eth0. I installed 64bit FC3 and
configured eth1 (RT8169) and used it happily ever after until
this incident.
Luckily it 'automagically' went away when I booted the following
day. But if it happens again, at a following kernel update,
I will bugzilla it. (Not only did I keep getting the pesky message
but I could not connect to the internet even though ethernet seemed
to be up after a manual 'ifup eth1'. Something PHY related presumably
needed to be 'reset' again, but what and how?)

Alexander