fetchmail stuipidity

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Fri Feb 18 14:19:48 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 01:20, Craig White wrote:
> I just manually cleaned off 460+ emails from my ISP's mailbox
> that I 'fetch' mail from.
>
> they were logging in my fetchmail log as...
>
> fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers

I first noticed this behavior back in May of 2003. A change was made
at this point to "bullet proof" the header-to-body detection code
and the end result forces those messages with a defective header to
be retained on the server.  Versions of fetchmail prior ot 6.1.3
didn't exhibit this behavior.  There was a patch released to
address this problem by one of the maintainers but it was shortly
after that time that I no longer needed fetchmail on any of my
systems; well, until this week ... and I'm now seeing the same
problem again that you describe on one test box here.  If you look
at the fetchmail archives you should see a bit of discussion on
this topic.  There was also a bit of discussion on the Redhat-List
around that time.

Regards, Mike Klinke