fetchmail stuipidity

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 18 15:39:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 08:19 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 01:20, Craig White wrote:
> > I just manually cleaned off 460+ emails from my ISP's mailbox
> > that I 'fetch' mail from.
> >
> > they were logging in my fetchmail log as...
> >
> > fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers
> >

> I first noticed this behavior back in May of 2003. A change was made
> at this point to "bullet proof" the header-to-body detection code
> and the end result forces those messages with a defective header to
> be retained on the server.  Versions of fetchmail prior ot 6.1.3
> didn't exhibit this behavior.  There was a patch released to
> address this problem by one of the maintainers but it was shortly
> after that time that I no longer needed fetchmail on any of my
> systems; well, until this week ... and I'm now seeing the same
> problem again that you describe on one test box here.  If you look
> at the fetchmail archives you should see a bit of discussion on
> this topic.  There was also a bit of discussion on the Redhat-List
> around that time.
----
Indeed - looked at fetchmail list and your comments were indeed there.
Appears I share problem of ISP which accepts email without discretion as
to whether they comply with rfc's and I have to clean up the mess
afterwards  ;-(

I suppose that I can login to IMAP server via telnet and do something
like a delete all once a month - have to learn IMAP commands...

Thanks

Craig