ethernet failure after update to kernel-2.6.10-1.766 (again)

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Fri Feb 18 16:02:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 07:56:33PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >This afternoon I updated to kernel-2.6.10-1.766 on an AMD64 machine.
> >MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum mobo using the Realtek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> >adapter.
> >On rebooting networking did not come up and I got the kernel message
> >kernel: r8169: eth1: PHY reset until linkup

> I'm surprised you have this problem. You must have made changes to your
> networking configuration -- even a seemingly tiny change can have big
> effects. I have the same motherboard -- I've forgotten the version
> number, I think it's a version 1 board. These are the messages that the
> 766 kernel gives me:

Damn. I crowed victory too soon!
It worked OK for about 24 hours in which time I booted 3 times.

Now at the 4th boot PHY strikes again. The same stupid message
"PHY reset until linkup" and no working internet connection.

I would really like to hear from others using this mobo AND the
RTL-8169 adapter if they experience this too and if they solved
it in any way.

Some hardware or other thing seems to be getting set or reset
at boot with the driver for this adapter so even if you switch
to an earlier kernel the problem remains.

I will bugzilla this tonight because it seems to be a real problem.

In the mean time I have switched to using eth0 (forcedeth) and just
hope this is not 'forcedeath'.

Alexander