inconsistency of used memory report

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 18 16:31:56 UTC 2005

Bob Hou wrote:
> Hi,
> I just found the inconsistency of used memory report from top/free and
> System monitor. The top/free reports ~254MB memory used while System
> Monitor shows
> only 120MB.
> I am using FC3

Which line of the "free" output are you looking at?

The one to use is the one that starts "-/+ buffers/cache:"; this line
does not include memory used by the kernel for buffers and cache, which
can be reclaimed and used for other applications if necessary. Does that
line line up with the "System Monitor" output?

Paul.