Slightly OT: Greylisting another take

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Feb 18 16:35:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 08:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> for what it's worth, I had 1 mail server that rejected my mail because
> it originated from my smtp server that used a 'smart host' and it
> couldn't resolve my smtp server via reverse dns - which is the point of
> using a smart host.

Consider a smart host the same thing as routing mail through your ISP.
Mail servers look at the client and the client's reverse pointer. This
has nothing to do with the sender (you). Many servers (including ours)
insists on a FQDN for the sender and HELO; That is sender at do-not-
reply.notld cannot send mail to our users nor can helo=<hello-world>.
--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam: http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm