Viewer - Solid Edge

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 18 18:34:13 UTC 2005

Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 01:34 pm, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Matt Morgan wrote:

> I ran a search on the Solid Edge website for "Linux" and came up empty.

> Your situation sounds a lot like my last few years in the working world. It
> seemed like neither any of our customers nor any of our vendors used a
> CAD/CAM system that had file formats that were compatible with either AutoCAD
> or ProE. The usual solution was that I would call their CAD guy and we'd try
> to find some intermediate file format that we could both use. Sometimes it
> worked flawlessly, sometimes some minor touch up was necessary, and sometimes
> we had to make another try.
>
> Am I correct that these files are in Solid Edge's native format?
>
> Are they solid models, 2D drawings or ???
>
> Do you just want to view the files, or will it be necessary to edit them?
>
> Matt mentioned Autodesk, but Autodesk drank Gates' KoolAid sometime in the
> late 90s when they moved to Windows and dropped all Unix support.
>
> FWIW, late last night I posted about your dilemma to cad-linux at freelists.org;
> I'll forward any responses to you. So far, though, nada. The same guy who
> runs the mail list maintains a website that provides information and links to
> a number of linux cad/cam applications:
> http://pfrostie.freeservers.com/cad-tastrafy/
>
> -- cmg

For me it is just view.  As far as I understand, these files are
supposed to be promoted as a Acrobat for drafting files.  They are
supposed to take an Autocad 3d model and make it viewable.  What tools
or etc about it I have never bothered.  I just email the file back and
say it is useless.  As I stated earlier, I am not dealing with the
person that created the file.

I did all the normal searches and such before posting.  No joy either. :(

I have viewers that will view DXF and DWG files, including sheets and
this is all I need.  I don't really do any drafting.  Of course the
excuse that Windows is all they need to support isn't cutting it
around work here.  Many have moved off of Windows Platforms when
possible and if Windows is needed, they put in for a second computer,
just for windows.  None of this Dual-boot stuff.

I did email Solid Edge's support staff about lack of a Linux viewer.

I did a search on I believe Autocads site for a viewer and it came up
with some hits.  I went to the hits and was given a message to search
the Internet for tools.  Needless to say, their "did this answer your
question?" box, was selected with a big poor and the comment basically
was filled with why did you waste my time by having this answer.

I thank you for your help.
Thanks for the link.  I have tried some of these programs.

--
Robin Laing