eth0

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 20:28:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 13:53, Matt Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:17:51 +0900, naxis <naxis at valiansys.com> wrote:
> > I need your help.
> > I have a problem with my ethernet pcmcia card.
> > I get this message on boot:
> > Bringing up interface eth0: xirc2ps_cs does not seem to be present.Delaying
> > eth0 initialization
> >
> > And I cannot activate the card.
> > When the system shuts down I get this message:
> > Shutting down eth0
> >
> > What is my problem?
>
> Sounds like a common problem where the ethernet card is trying to
> start before pcmcia has started (that's a Xircom PCMCIA card, right?).
> I don't know how to fix this myself, but I know it's been answered on
> this list before. Try searching the list archives for "pcmcia" or
> "card services" at
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
>
> And I bet you'll find some useful tips.

If that is the problem then in the Network GUI mark that card NOT to
start at boot time.

<insert rant #36 here>

Under FC2 this was a real problem.  When the system boots any pcmcia
network card will be started when pcmcia services start up even if it is
marked NOT to start at boot time.

If you do have it marked to start at boot time it won't start.  It will
get all confused because network services tries to start it but the
underlying pcmcia service is not up yet.  So it fails and usually hangs
itself.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

When the going gets tough, everyone leaves.
		-- Lynch