FC1 to FC3 upgrade Yum problem [SOLVED]

Rick Lim ricklim at telus.net
Fri Feb 18 23:32:24 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Paul Howarth
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 7:33 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: FC1 to FC3 upgrade Yum problem

Rick Lim wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have upgraded a FC1 to FC3 now I have this problem, I am trying to
update
> named
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> I need urgent help, I only have a couple of days to get this working
>

> [root at fedorarouter ~]# yum update
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up Repo:  base
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> Setting up Repo:  updates-released
> repomd.xml                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 8, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 68, in main
>     result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 381, in doCommands
>     return self.updatePkgs()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 766, in updatePkgs
>     self.doRepoSetup()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 78, in doRepoSetup
>     self.doSackSetup()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 93, in
> doSackSetup
>     self.repos.populateSack()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 203, in
> populateSack
>     dobj = repo.cacheHandler.getPrimary(xml, csum)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/mdcache.py", line 103, in
> getPrimary
>     return self._getGeneric('metadata', location, checksum)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/mdcache.py", line 90, in
> _getGeneric
>     databank = self._unpickle(piklfile)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/mdcache.py", line 62, in
> _unpickle
>     obj = cPickle.load(infh)
> EOFError

Which version of yum are you using?
(rpm -q yum)

If not the latest, try manually updating to it and then try again:
# rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/yum-2
.1.12-0.fc3.noarch.rpm

Paul.

I solved it by following the instructions at
http://www.charlescurley.com/yum/upgrading.html#AEN268

3.2.2. Clean Out Old Headers

You are about to change out your update repository. The first thing to do is
clean out your headers and packages. This will help avoid confusion later
on. To get absolutely everything:

rm -r /var/cache/yum/*

Thanks for the replys