Java Plugin with Firefox (Help for New Users)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 19 04:44:27 UTC 2005

Jason Powers wrote:
> First I think you should go here:
>
> https://addons.update.mozilla.org/plugins/
>
> And take note that they talk about all kinds of plugins for firefox, and
> it isn't Windows only. So you can check there and they'll give you this
> answer:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
>

> Please try to install that on your linux machine (the .bin file will run
> a little text-based installer) and drop it in the directory you're in.
>

> **SPOILER ALERT**
>

> I prefer figuring out the endings myself, but if you just want it over with:
>
> Once it unpacks:
>
> copy the file jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Nope, WRONG!  This will break the Java VM.  You should build a symbolic
Link to this file from the firefox plugings directory, like this:

[root at localhost plugins]# ln -s
/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

If you want to make this plugin available to a limited number of users
do the link from the user's home .mozilla/plugin directory.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2