Fedora/Windows network

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sat Feb 19 08:12:47 UTC 2005

I am absolutely confused...

For example I have a FEDORA pc and a Windows (MAXDATA name on the
network running XP professional, but similar results with XP Home
machines) connected.

1) If I issue the command findsmb i get:
                                *=DMB
                                +=LMB
IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME     WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
192.168.0.1     FEDORA        *[FEDORA] [Unix] [Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3]

no trace of the Windows machine....

2) I issue the command:
 smbclient -L //MAXDATA
Password:
Domain=[MAXDATA] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        Lavoro          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC remoto
        print$          Disk      Driver della stampante
        SharedDocs      Disk
        Musica          Disk
        ADMIN$          Disk      Amministrazione remota
        Immagini        Disk
        C$              Disk      Condivisione predefinita
        Software        Disk
        Musicaok        Disk
Domain=[MAXDATA] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

3) If i digit the command smb:/// in Nautilus I see my Workgroup, then I
click on it and I see the list of the connected machines, I click on my
MAXDATA machine and I see the shares, but when I click on a shared
folders, Nautilus freezes, no password request....and I have to kill
Nautilus by System Monitor...

4) If I digit smb://192.168.0.5/ (that is IP number of MAXDATA)
everything works fine..I can access my shared folders through Nautilus,
copy, delete files, etc, etc.....

5) If I digit smb://MAXDATA/  I get the poor results like point 3.

Samba shares on my Fedora machine are fine and seen on all network
What am I missing???

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3