OpenLDAP-SSL + Samba + PAM + Kerberos for Authentication and Directory Services

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 19 15:24:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 01:42 -0500, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> This is out of pure curiosity.
>
> I have seen a few guides but I wanted to ask what were the guides that
> helped the people out here get this going.
>
> I mean I saw Directory Administrator seems pretty tight for upkeep
> after I get this all set up.
>
> But ...
>
> What is the very best guide for setting up OpenLDAP-ssl + Kerberos for
> Authentication and getting Samba  set to authenticate against it and
> how would I set up a linux client to authenticate against it for
> testing?
>
> Has anyone done this before?
----
myself, I'm as far as installing openldap 2.2.23 from source which
included installing db-4.2.52 (+patches), heimdal 0.6.3, cyrus-
sasl-2.1.20 and openssl - 0.9.7e from source as well - all isolated
in /usr/local and leaving everything in Red Hat intact.

I have openldap authenticating users and publishing other directories
such as personal and shared address books.

I think I understand what cyrus-sasl does but haven't worked that much
with it.

I have started playing with heimdal kerberos but have made no efforts to
try to integrate it into openldap yet - that is not a priority item but
something I definitely want to learn when time permits.

This setup though, I should point out, I am doing with RHEL rather than
Fedora because this is server based and I see little reason to put
Fedora on servers running openldap and all.

I think if you look through the archives in December 2004 at openldap-
software list, you will see my fairly complete notes of how I installed
everything without destroying/removing anything from RHEL 3

HTH

Craig