unable to get online with Verizon DSL under Fedora ( 82562ET NIC )

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sat Feb 19 21:30:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 15:57 -0500, Michael Hatzel wrote:
> I had the same issue back in the day with Verizon DSL.  What you need to do
> is reduce the max transmissable rate on the network device.  For some reason
> the default provides longer packets than the DSL modem can handle.  If I
> recall correctly, the MTU needs to be set to 1300 or 1350.  Check that out
> and see if it fixes the issue.

I'm using a router and everything is set to 1,500. Moreover, the message
he is getting would seem unrelated to the DSL modem. OTH, the mod is
correct and it is loaded.

Having eliminated the obvious, this is probably an IRQ problem. Awhile
back I had a similar colloquy with someone and the problem was fixed
with a custom-compiled kernel (with apic). That is what I do and would
do.

There is one other possibility that I can think of. Comment out
everything in modprobe.conf except eth0, reboot to level 3 and see if
the eth0 driver loads properly. Then load the modules one at a time to
see where the conflict might be (I don't think - but I'm unsure - that
the stock kernel supports module unloading).

ANYONE ELSE?
--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam: http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm