Why do I need SELinux?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 20 18:10:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 12:20 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 22:41 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > David, You havent understood the selinux protection for apache. MAC
> > based security like SELinux offers much more than you can possibly
> > have with protection through file permissions.
>
> I think that's exactly what I said; I won't use what I don't fully
> understand. Please give me a specific example of precisely what SEL
> might do for Apache.
> --
>
>          Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
> Fight Spam:     http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm
> Daily Updates:  http://www.tqmcube.com/spam_trap.htm
>                 rsync -l tqmcube.com::spamlists

---
My reaction is that someone that has a signature that includes - Total
Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence just after he asks
others to provide research and conclusions for them for material that is
already available is more apt to spout slogans than is willing to
perform them.

When you install Fedora Core 2 or Fedora Core 3, your default home page
is the local file...
file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

The FIRST link in 'Overview of this Release' is the link to information
on SE Linux FAQ's - which provides a plethora of information and links
to other sites with more information.

Do your own research and report back to us - Join the Fedora SELinux
mail list and ask specific questions about why to use and for things
that you don't understand...