Why do I need SELinux?

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sun Feb 20 19:12:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 11:10 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> My reaction is that someone that has a signature that includes - Total
> Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence just after he asks
> others to provide research and conclusions for them for material that is
> already available is more apt to spout slogans than is willing to
> perform them.

First of all, what is with the ad hominem? Secondly, quality management
means quality of process. That's rather difficult to accomplish when I
don't have a reasonable understanding. I have stated, from the outset,
that I have been unable to comprehend the materials sufficiently to
implement SEL with the comfort level that I need. If that upsets you, to
the point of being insulting, then I suggest that find another endeavor
other than posting to mail lists.

> Suggesting to others that that they can feel comfortable turning off
> provided protection because 2.4 kernel doesn't use SE Linux seems to be
> as much a disservice as broadcasting a commitment to excellence and then
> failing to do adequate research on your own.

I didn't suggest anything to anyone other than the fact that I lack
comprehension of the subject (repeatedly). I never even mentioned the
2.4 kernel. Moreover, research and comprehension are two different
things. Some things click and some things don't. SELinux has been one of
this things that I find extremely esoteric (whether it is or is not).
What I was trying to understand was a specific - real world -
vulnerability and how it would be resolved with SEL. If you find that
unreasonable or upsetting then, really, let someone else respond - if
they choose to.

I have run some fairly large organizations. My approach has not always
been focused and disciplined. I've learned from those mistakes.

--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam:     http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm