Minimum system requirements

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 21 00:58:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:37:54 -0500
Johnathan Bailes <johnathan.bailes at gmail.com> wrote:

[Open Office loading slow on a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop]

> 90 to 101 seconds from a cold start on my 600 MHZ Celeron Dell 4000
> Inspiron with gaim, evolution and Firefox running in other windows .
> Yes, DMA is on.

Under 50 seconds on that old Thinkpad 240 I mentioned.  What kind of
speeds do you get from hdparm -t -T ?

Having evolution and firefox open at the same time alomg with KDE or
Gnome on your 128 MB machine probably hurt some, but the sub-50-second
time was on a computer running at 200 MHz on battery power, too.  (And
that was from a fresh start, no openoffice in cache).

With that model of laptop, though, you should be able to both add a faster
disk and more RAM.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!