'Some Contents Unreadable" error.Is my Hard drive corrupted?

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Mon Feb 21 06:24:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:51:52 +0530
Rajev Mhasawade <rcmpost at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need help.Plz confirm me if im in a problem.Is my HDD corrupted?
> I have Fedora 3.When i right click /usr (which is a separate
> partition) it first calculates used space and then this comment below
> it. "(some contents unreadable)".Same with /doc partition.
> I did check my /doc partition using fcsk but i didnt understand the
> output it gave.
> ---------
> [root at localhost ~]# fsck /dev/hda12
> fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> /dev/hda12 is mounted.
>
> WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
> SEVERE filesystem damage.
>
> Do you really want to continue (y/n)? yes
>
> /doc: recovering journal
> /doc: clean, 29/393600 files, 32977/787177 blocks

As some have already said, ignoring the warning was probably not a good
thing. As regards the original problem, "some contents unreadable" -
that is often just a permission error. For example, if you became root
and edited a file in your home directory, then only root would be able
to read it. That can be solved with the "chown" command.

best regards,
Robert