Sony Clie TJ-37 Under FC3 almost working but not quite

Aaron O'Hara ajeo at hungryforlife.org
Mon Feb 21 07:47:11 UTC 2005

All,

I have a Sonly Clie TJ-37 and I'm having problems getting it to
communicate with Gnome Pilot.  I have created a sym link
between /dev/pilot/ and /dev/ttyUSB0.  When I follow the wizard and
click the HotSync on the Clie, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Feb 20 23:41:21 sumas kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 12
Feb 20 23:41:21 sumas kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter detected
Feb 20 23:41:21 sumas kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Feb 20 23:41:21 sumas kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Despite this apparent connectivity, The "Initial Sync" of Gnome Pilot
hangs and the Clie eventually times out saying that a connection could
not be established.

Every time I do a hotsync, I notice that the one line
in /var/log/messages increments:

Feb 20 23:41:21 sumas kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 12

I don't know if the 'address 12' is important enough that I need to tell
Gnome Pilot.

/var/log/messages also reports the device as "Handspring Visor", not
Sony Clie, but I don't know if that's important either.

Based on /var/log/messages, it seems as though the USB link is working,
but it's just getting Gnome Pilot to work that's the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Aaron