installing for the first time

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 21 13:32:59 UTC 2005

Olaf Van Loon wrote:
> I hope I'm not taking up to much time from everybody but I finally got
> myself to use LInux (fedora core 3) from the linux starter magazin in
> holland
> and I thought it was great that it was easy to install the basics.
> After that I tried to install xine, i firts updated Yum and till that point
> it was ok but then i tried to installed xine, there was a note that it was
> good to do but I did't have any gpg public keys installed. I tried to do
> that just like explained:
>
> "You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
> However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
> the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
> You can do that by running the command:
>     rpm --import public.gpg.key
> For more information contact your distribution or package provider."
>
> but then I get the answer:  error import read failed.
>
> What should I do?

The "public.gpg.key" is a generic example; the actual filename will vary
depending on which package repositories you are using. If you are only
using the standard Fedora repositories (this is the default case), you
can do this (as root):

# rpm --import /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY*

If you use any third-party repositories, follow the instructions at
their sites to import their GPG keys.

Paul.