Backups via SCP or RSYNC

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Feb 21 14:29:25 UTC 2005

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> i try to get together my backups via rsync or scp. I have:
>
> 1 server holding the backups. Behind the firewall, has to pick the
> backups (HOLDER)
>
> 1 server creating the backups. (CREATOR)
>
> I would like to do now the following:
>
> HOLDER picks the backups via rsync or scp on CREATOR. This shall happen
> via scp or rsync. I tried both, the problem is, that for ssh-issues, i
> have to indicate a password, that ssh is asking for.
>
> How can i:
> - either indicate the password for ssh without interactivity?
> - taking another way to do this? Thanks for links.

I'm no security guru,
and don't really understood what you are trying to do,
but if you copy your $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa.pub to the other machine,
and add it to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys there
you should not be asked for a password.

Also I don't think there is really a choice between rsync and scp.
You can opt to use ssh with rsync, and I think that is the norm.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366