FC3, GNOME question

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Feb 21 15:28:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 10:16 -0500, jim lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:19:49 -0500, Chris Gramer <cgramer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > I recently installed Fedora Core 3 and set up the system with nary a
> > glitch and logged in using my regular account under GNOME.  After
> > installing, I used up2date to update all my packages.  I then logged
> > out, choosing "Save Current Settings."  When I restarted and tried to
> > log back in using my regular account and GNOME, after entering my
> > password it would show the splash screen briefly, show that it was
> > blank blue screen.  (The FC3 BSOD?)  I was able to Ctrl-Alt-Del to
> > access the logout/shutdown dialog and log out, and could then log into
> > the system using my regular account under KDE without problems.  I can
> > also log in using GNOME or KDE as root.  Any ideas what could be going
> > on?
> >
> > [snip]

I had a similar thing happen to me. Try this:

log in at the console (i.e. ctrl-alt-F1) as yourself

mv ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome2.old

log out and switch back to GDM (ctrl-alt-F7) and try logging back in as
yourself. In my case something had badly messed up the gnome-session
files and doing this seemed to fix the problem.

Best, Darren