fedora fc2 problem with display color depth and resolution

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Feb 21 17:34:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:27:24PM -0500, Shailan Mohan wrote:
> Im using a Dell UltraScan P991 monitor and Fedora Core 2 on a
> Dell machine with a Pentium 4 processor. I cant get both
> 1024x768 resolution and color depth more than 8 together.
[...]
> Also, how can i determine if i have the right driver installed
> for this monitor?

The monitor isn't really the important thing; it's the video card. Any
decent modern monitor can do reasonably high resolutions, and they all work
basically the same. So, here's the important part:

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "i810"
>         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>         BoardName   "Intel 865"
> EndSection

And this should easily support the basic modes you want. Have you tried
re-running 'system-config-display'?