AC97 stopped working with new kernel

Thoralf Polet polet at rocketmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:49:18 UTC 2005

I run FC3 on a Sony Vaio PCG-FR215E. Some weeks ago
with some new kernel sound stopped working.

/sbin/lspci -v     tells me:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device
8143
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

system-config-soundcard finds the soundcard (resp.
-chip) but doesn't play the test tune (module
snd-via82xx).

I receive the following message on the shell:

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Playing WAVE
'/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav'
: Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz,
got = 48000Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin (-Dplug:hw:0,0)

I don't understand the last two lines and couldn't
find anything helpful.