Not able to print to shared OS X printer

Ian P. Thomas ipt at scraemon.org
Mon Feb 21 20:20:49 UTC 2005

> > > Try turning off firewall completely.
> > >
> > > My guess - and I have no way of testing this, is that Mac users don't
> > > transmit on cups port but transmit on afp over tcp port (548) and thus
> > > the firewall settings to allow for printer sharing apply only to the
> > > Macs.
> > >
> > > That's my guess - I was hoping that someone who has done this would pipe
> > > up - obviously the other advice didn't understand your problem.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> > I thought it might be the firewall at first also.  When you enable
> > 'Printer Sharing' on OS X, it automatically opens ports 631 and 515.
> > 515 shows up as the printer service in /etc/services.  No listing for
> > 631 in /etc/services, but Google says that it is used by CUPS (ipp).
> > Apple's docs don't say much other than the following:
> >
> > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=152248
> >
> > Note: Shared Mac OS X printers are automatically available to UNIX users
> > who are using the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS).
> >
> > Other then what I've done so far, is there anything else you need to do
> > on Fedora to print to a network printer?  This seems like some CUPS
> > setting is unset or set incorrectly on either the print server or the
> > client.  I'm leaning toward the client due to the fact that I can print
> > to the server from other machines, albeit, non-Fedora machines.
> >

> > Ian
> >
> Ok, that port looks good for cups.  What about the printer
> drivers/filters?
>
> On Linux when sharing a printer with another machine you usually have to
> have 2 print queues for one printer, one for local printing and one for
> remote printing.
>
> The default setup for a printer is to have the driver/filter loaded on
> the printing machine so that the raw file is put into the queue and is
> then formatted at print time.  When sending it to another machine for
> printing via cups the file is formatted for printing prior to sending to
> the remote queue and thus will get passed thru the filter twice (which
> won't work).
>
> To take care of that I set one print queue for local use, then I set
> another shared queue as a raw print queue so preformatted jobs from
> remote machines do not get processed the second time.
>
> How does MAC handle the printing?

OS X uses CUPS.  If it uses two queues for printing, it hides it behind
all the candy-coated goodness.

> The key to this is when the file gets formatted.  Windows formats prior
> to putting in the queue.  Linux formats when removing from the queue and
> sending to the printer.  When does MAC do the formatting?

I dunno.  I would have to dig around and find out.  The problem turned
out to be a DNS issue which I identified using Ethereal.  You may have
missed may post about the solution.

For now it just works, and I mean Fedora ;)

Ian