Sound and CD-RW

Pete pchoppin at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 22:14:32 UTC 2005

Fedora Core 3
2.5.10-1.766_FC3
I686

Problem:  I occasionally lose the ability to access my CD-RW device and
I lose my sound sporatically.  These two problems seem to happen
simultaneously.  I have tried everything that I know to get these
devices to work properly with no avail.

Solution Attempts:  I have removed/redetected the sound.  I have tried
mounting and unmounting the CD-RW.  It may be coincidence, but the sound
and CD-RW did appear to work when I had started my Konqueror File
Manager Super User mode.  I needed to restart the system (just to get
into Windows) and started back into Linux and the sound and CD-RW were
inaccessable.

Note:  Even when I cannot hear normal system and application sounds, I
can play the sample sound under Control Center, Sound & Multimedia,
Sound System.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pete