kvm switch problem with mouse

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 22:14:55 UTC 2005

Charles A. Hodge wrote:
> A similar post has prompted this one. I use a Belkin KVM switch and have
> had problems with the mouse "going crazy" when switching back to fc3.
> I'm using a PS/2 wheel mouse and have found in the past that if I select
> just a generic three button mouse (no wheel) everything is fine. However
> I cannot find where i can change the mouse selection in fc3 as I could
> in RH8. Anybody know how?

This is a Frequently Asked Question: Belkin's are bad at this.

You will need to add the phrase psmouse.proto=imps or psmouse.proto=imps
to the kernel command line. In Grub you can highlight the kernel you're
about to boot and press "e": to do this permanently, you should
(carefully!) edit /boot/grub/grub.conf .

Having read that, I notice there is also a psmouse.resetafter= (try to
reset the mouse after so many bad packets) option. E.g.
psmouse.resetafter=10

If you find this helps, *please* let us know.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "We completely deny the allegations, and we're
Exeter    Devon    UK | trying to identify the alligators."