Difficulty getting a large disk mounted.

Matt Considine matt at considine.net
Mon Feb 21 23:22:03 UTC 2005

Hi,
I've checked the archives and cannot find commentary on this.  Hoping I
didn't overlook something, here goes ...

Running FC3 and Gnome, I am trying to get a third harddisk recognized.
This one had a partition (11G) for the Win99 OS and the remaining
partition was divided up into virtual drives.  Total size is 60G if I
recall.

The hardware brower recognizes this as

     Device Start End   Size(MB)  Type
/dev/hdd
     /hdd1  1     1460  11453     fat32
            1     1460  11453     Free space
     /hdd2  1461  7296  45779     No filesystem
            7297  7298     10     Free space

These are associated with subdirectories, respectively,
   /mnt/boot
   /mnt/root

I can see the files on "boot" without a problem.  But I cannot
see the files on "root".

Can someone either tell me how or point me to the instructions to get
these files recognized?  When I type (as root)

   mount -t vfat /dev/hdd2 /mnt/root

I get the following message :
   mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd2,
          or too many mounted file systems

Any help would be appreciated, as well as everyone's patience if I
missed something simple.

Regards,
Matt