need help with lvm and fedora core 3 - unable to boot after adding disk to VolGroup00

Jeff Macdonald macfisherman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 01:37:10 UTC 2005

Hi,
I have one volume group and that is used as such:
[root at jeff ~]# /usr/sbin/lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/Root' [9.78 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/Home' [231.31 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/Swap' [320.00 MB] inherit

I added a whole disk to VolGroup00 like so:
[root at jeff ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hde bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out

created the physical volume:
[root at jeff ~]# /usr/sbin/pvcreate /dev/hde

added it to the volume group:
[root at jeff ~]# /usr/sbin/vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hde

added 100G from the 150G drive to Home:
[root at jeff ~]# /usr/sbin/lvextend -L+100G /dev/VolGroup00/Home
  Extending logical volume Home to 331.31 GB
  Logical volume Home successfully resized

At this point the docs suggest umounting the logical volume in order
to resize the file system. So I decided I was going to reboot the
computer and start it into single user mode. When doing that I'm
greated with:

lvm exited abnormally!
Couldn't find device with uuid <uuid>
Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00

So it seems that it can't find the new physical volume that I just
added.  LVM is totally new to me, so any help telling me how to mount
my filesystem in rescue mode would be great. Right now I'm not
touching the computer until I understand what I can do. However, from
a quick overview off all the commands, it looks like it may be
possible to simply remove the new physical volume?

TIA

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA