video problems

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 22 07:23:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:06 +1000, Trent Hennessy wrote:

> I have an acer travelmate 260 laptop, with an intel i830m chipset, running
> fedora core 3. My problem is the graphics, the mouse icon is just a
> big square fuzzy box, and for example, in kde if u try and go into
> the control panel, it will open, but as soon you click on one of the
> drop down options for example appearence, it locks up and the screen
> flashes and the video goes all funny then blank, looks almost like
> its trying to refesh the driver, only way out of this is to shut the
> system down by using the power button. whether its kde, gnome, or
> even the start up gui, even the install, the mouse is a square fuzzy
> box. and on bootup it flickers and stuff aswell.
----
don't know about the acer and display adaptor - perhaps linux-on-laptops
might give you some better info...<http://www.linux-laptop.net/>

but if you logout

<Control><Option><F2>

login as root

type 'init 3' # to switch to runlevel 3
type 'system-config-display --reconfig' # have another whack at X setup

test by typing ' startx '

if it improves, you're good to go. logout of x (shouldn't be running X
as root anyway)

'init 5' # back to where you began

Craig