cbrPager on FC3 (solved)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 22 08:37:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 04:26 +0100, Kristian André Gallis wrote:
> Thanks. I got the same reply from an another source at the same time as
> you. I wasn't aware of that I needed the developer package to install
> programmes. I thought it was for developing programmes. Anyway, since I
> use apt-get the name of the package I had to install was libgnomeui-devel.

When you install a program "from source" like this, you're not just
installing it, you're compiling it too. This requires the development
tools (e.g. compiler, linker, -devel packages for any libraries the
program uses).

Some commercial applications are distributed in a pre-compiled format
(rather like Windows programs are generally distributed) and these don't
need the developer tools to install, but in the Linux world these are
the exception rather than the rule.

This is one of the many reasons why it's usually better (e.g. quicker
and more convenient) to install packages from RPMs rather than builing
them from source on Fedora.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>