Custom Kernel Creation Documentation Online

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 22 08:52:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 21:32 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> > 1. instead of 'chown' and stuff - just recommend using:
> >
> > echo "%_topdir ${HOME}/rpm" >> ~/.rpmmacros
> > mkdir -p $HOME/rpm/SOURCES $HOME/rpm/SPECS $HOME/rpm/BUILD $HOME/rpm/SRPMS $HOME/rpm/RPMS/i386
> >
> > This is much simpler - and sets up the env to use other srpms cleanly.
> >
> > 2. %debug_package %{nil}
> >
> > This prevents the debug package from being generated - but at the same
> > time - the debug symbols don't get stripped from the primary
> > package. My recommendation is not to use this flag.
> >

> > 3. For my kernel build needs - I've just managed to edit the spec
> > files and - and make minor patch additions/changes and use:
> >
> > rpmbuild -ba --target=i696 kernel-2.6.spec
> >
> > This gives both kernel.rpm & kernel.src.rpm
> >
> > And to startoff - there are multiple kernels.srpms you can use
> >
> > - fedora kernel  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/3/SRPMS/
> > - ac kernel      http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/arjan/ac/SRPMS.kernel/
> >
> > [ some patches might not apply cleanly to fedora kernel]
> >
> > Satish
> >
> Sorry for the late post on this thread, but I modified the
> /etc/rpm/macros file to point to a directory that has plenty of space
> and where I can build several releases.  Read through the file and it
> basically explains itself.  I don't recommend building any rpm in a
> user's directory.

I would *always* recommend building any rpm in a user's directory, where
"a user's directory" is defined as "a directory writable by the user and
that has enough space to complete the build". This may or may not be the
user's home directory. Whatever, don't build RPMs as root.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>