Fedora and TV Tuner Card

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 10:32:52 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
>Am Mo, den 21.02.2005 schrieb Abhishek Sharma um 12:05:
>
>> How can I make my Fedora to auto load the module required to use the
>> TV Tuner card.  module name is "saa7137 " with arguments as
>> card=3D33
>> and tuner=3D26
>>=20
>> I manually do that using ' modprobe'
>
>The module will be autoloaded once an application tries to use the
>device. though you may add to /etc/modprobe.conf
>
>alias char-major-81 saa7137
>options saa7137 card=3D33 tuner=3D26

Well, I'd certainly hope it would autoload the module when required,
but that wasn't my experience this weekend when I added FC3 to one of
my machines.  Under FC2 on the same machine I have alias and options
lines in /etc/modprobe.conf for my bttv-based TV tuner.  When I run
tvtime it Just Works.

In FC3 I put the same lines in modprobe.conf, but tvtime complains that
/dev/video0 doesn't exist.  I have to 'modprobe bttv' by hand to get it
to work.

Yes, I could put the command in rc.local, but why should I have to?
It worked automatically under FC2, why not with FC3?

Ron