Samba Server setup and best practices

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Tue Feb 22 16:45:40 UTC 2005

We run samba servers on Fedora and Solaris to allow
access between the Windows network and the Unix world.
our /etc/samba/smb.conf file contains (among other things)

   workgroup = our_domain_name
   netbiosname = ZHERC
   security = domain
   password server = our_PDC

The unix box is then added to the domain with a variation on:

net rpc join member -U some_admin_acct -w our_domain_name -S our_pdc

Users who can access shares on this workstation need a UNIX account
on this machine.  In the Fedora case, it is in /etc/passwd.  On
the Solaris boxes it is defined to NIS+.  You do not need to give
them a real password if you don't want.  That way they cannot actually
log on the box.  Also you don't have to add them to the smbpasswd file.

Hope this helps

Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer (DMTS)
Lucent Technologies, Phoenix