Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 22 17:44:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:36 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > going back to what I said in reply to the first post - I have never been
> > able to format a vfat partition larger than 32 Gigabytes with Linux. By
> > extrapolation, I might figure that I would have a problem mounting a
> > vfat partition that is larger than 32 Gigabytes with Linux.
> >
> > Since it was Windows 98 and Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS, it has to
> > be vfat (Fat32). It is larger than 32 Gigabytes. This would seem to be
> > your issue.
> >
> > Unless someone else knows how to mount a vfat volume greater than 32
> > Gigabytes on Linux,
>
> I've got such a beast:
>
> [james at kendrick ~]$ df -m /media/data/
> Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda11               42427     35687      6741  85% /media/data
> [james at kendrick ~]$ mount | grep /media/data
> /dev/hda11 on /media/data type vfat (rw,gid=501,dmask=2,fmask=113)
>
> The gid, dmask, and fmask options are so that members of a selected
> group can write to the drive.
>
> I suspect I created it with mkdosfs (it's been a while).
>
> It mounts normally:
> [james at kendrick ~]$ grep /media/data /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda11   /media/data    vfat defaults,gid=501,dmask=2,fmask=113 0 0
>
> Linux, Windows 98 and Windows 2000 have handled it without problem or
> complaint.
----
thanks - good to know. I know that I couldn't get it done with mkfs -t
vfat /dev/hdbx where x represented partition > 32 Gb

I gave up.

Of course, the next obvious question is why?  Never seemed to me to be a
reasonable thing - having a vfat partition > 32 Gb UNLESS it was on a
Windows 98 computer.

;-)

Craig