sudo in terminal

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:57:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:13:07 -0500, H. Crissman
<hcrissman at secure-mind.net> wrote:
> When I "vi example.file" the text inside the file is color coded based
> on format (ie. commented out lines are blue). But when I "sudo vi
> example.file" that color coding is lost. How can I enable that when I
> edit a file using sudo? It really helps when you are looking at a long
> config file.

This is a wild guess. Maybe the paths are different when you sudo, and
you're getting a different vi when you sudo? There's only one vi on my
current FC3 system but in the past, on other linuxes and Unixes, I've
occasionally had multiple ones installed. Try

which vi

as yourself and as root (get there with su -) and see if they're different.